domingo, 22 de abril de 2012

Vivid and Visible: Imagery of Pain

The frightening scene described by Ellison in the chapter highlights his use of imagery to depict the events in the story.

As I read on, I started to feel fumes of alcohol, cigars, tobacco and lust coming out from the pages. Men from all sorts of backgrounds sitting in the blue gray light near the ring grabbing the blonde dancer, "their beefy fingers sink(ing) into soft flesh... terror and disgust in her eyes."(20) While I read this part of the chapter, the vividness of the descriptions and the quick pace at which everything was happening it didn't feel as if I was reading anymore. It actually felt as if I was watching a movie, but was somehow in the movie, like I was sitting in that room with all of those men shouting. Later, when the narrator begins to describe all the blows he received while on the ring, I noticed that the length of each sentence reflected the length of each action. Like this one for example, "My arms were like lead. My head smarting from blows. I managed to feel my way up the ropes and held on, trying to catch my breath." So much effort to get up! Short sentences, as if at the end of each one he's trying to catch his breath and has very little energy. You can  feel how hard it is for him to get up. You can see his hands holding on tight to the rope and his body struggling. Suddenly though, his efforts are interrupted by "A glove (that) landed in (his) midsection" and as a reader you can feel the punch as he falls down again.(20) The sentence however, doesn't end there but  rather continues with a comma, "I went over again," sort of freezing time at the moment he begins to feel the pain. (20) Eventually, he realizes the game was rigged, him being the only left with the biggest man in the ring, inevitably losing the fight. 




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Seguidores